Learning from Leaders
One of Young Leaders of Notre Dame's flagship programs, Learning from Leaders offers young working professionals and faculty members the opportunity to connect with and seek advice from senior University leaders.
At each event, several YLND members meet with a key figure at Notre Dame to hear about their career journey and ask questions about professional development, life at Notre Dame, and more.
Click here to view our Fall 2017 Learning From Leaders sessions.
Why attend Learning from Leaders?
Mary de Villiers
associate director, international admissions
"The most helpful piece of advice from our meeting with a University leader was how to find life/work balance, as many of us feel that our work at Notre Dame is a calling and not just a job. Our featured speaker gave us useful ideas on managing work and personal responsibilities, and her insights were both inspiring and affirming.
"Since that conversation, I have found myself feeling more confident in the way I approach my work schedule and in the way I encourage colleagues to approach their own life/work balance."
communications program manager, Institute for Advanced Study
"Our featured speaker shared insights and anecdotes that arose out of the challenges and opportunities she encountered and how those experiences have shaped her into an effective leader. While she told a number of stories, the moral of one that I hold onto still was the importance of malleability and humility, especially for leaders — sometimes leaders need to reassess the course their team is on and, utilizing the skills and knowledge they have futrher developed along the way, set their team's coordinates toward a new destination.
"In order to excel as leaders, we must have the wherewithal to assess what we do and how we do it as well as the courage and humility to adjust when necessity or opportunity calls."
Past featured leaders
- Laura Carlson, vice president, associate provost, and dean of the Graduate School
- Marianne Corr, vice president and general counsel
- Ann Firth, chief of staff to the president
- Rob Kelly, associate athletics director
- Micki Kidder, associate vice president and executive director of development
- Ron Kraemer, vice president and chief information officer
- Eric Love, director of staff diversity and inclusion
- Karrah Miller, director, Office of Institutional Equity
- John Sejdinaj, vice president of finance
- Tim Sexton, associate vice president for public affairs
- Pamela Nolan Young, director for academic diversity and inclusion