Membership & Bylaws
Young Leaders of Notre Dame is open to any employee at the University of Notre Dame. Events and opportunities are focused on meeting the needs of those under the age of 45.
Young Leaders of Notre Dame (YLND) exists to connect Notre Dame young professionals through networking, professional development, and community engagement and social activities to assist Human Resources with recruitment, retention and provision of educational initiatives ensuring the continued growth and strength of the University community.
Several staff members approached the University Leadership expressing a desire and interest in ways to meet, interact, and connect with young professionals across campus as a way to build community and further their own careers. An exploratory committee including those staff members and a representative from Human Resources was formed in the spring of 2015. The result of the work of the committee was the formation of YLND as an Employee Resource Group (ERG), with the support of Human Resources.
Committee Charter & Goals
YLND will fulfill its mission in the following ways:
- Holding various events to encourage socializing, networking, professional development, and community engagement opportunities
- Administering an online platform through which young professionals at ND can connect
- Working with University Leadership and Human Resources to create networking & professional development opportunities
- Working with other local organizations to connect YLND members to the wider Michiana community
Funding from Human Resources
- HR funding will take place yearly on July 1st upon approval and does not roll over from year to year. Approval will be granted if funds are available and if the group met their objectives and goals in the prior fiscal year as set forth in Article II of the ERG Charter. (Employee Resource Groups document)
- Each ERG must have an elected treasurer, and follow appropriate approval guidelines.
Steering Committee Makeup
YLND is led by a steering committee consisting of a diverse cross-section of the University’s young professionals. A committee member may hold more than one position on the steering committee. A single term in any position on the steering committee may be no longer than 2 years. Committee members may remain on the steering committee for no longer than 4 years total. Prior to serving on the steering committee, individuals must serve a minimum of one full semester on a subcommittee.
Steering committee members are expected to engage and participate in a minimum of 4 YLND functions semesterly as a part of their commitment and leadership role to YLND.
Subcommittees are subject to change as determined by the steering committee. At a minimum the YLND Steering Committee has the following positions:
- Administrative Chair
- Communications Chair
- Events & Community Engagement Chair
- Human Resources Liaison
- Membership Chair
Responsible for overall operations and strategic direction of YLND and acts as the liaison to the University community as a whole.
- Works with University Administration on ideas to increase awareness, marketing, etc. for YLND and all employee resource groups (ERGs)
- Meets regularly with the leadership of all ERG’s to share best practices, ensure consistency in ERG models, share resources and continue to think strategically about all matters affecting ERGs
- Responsible for the scheduling of YLND committee meetings, and facilitating agendas and committee work as needed
Provides strategic administrative guidance to the steering committee by overseeing the budget process, compiling steering committee meeting minutes, seeking fundraising opportunities, and collecting and analyzing year-end survey data.
Responsible for the oversight of comprehensive communications that support the strategic direction of YLND to include web content, social media, graphic design, photography/videography, email marketing, and print promotions.
Events & Community Engagement Chair
Responsible for the oversight, development, and strategic direction of YLND events and community engagement. Manages members of the subcommittees for each event category and for community engagement. Maintains expectations and procedures for event management.
Human Resources Liaison
Human Resources staff member who helps to ensure that YLND is fulfilling its mission of assisting Human Resources with recruitment, retention, and provision of educational initiatives.
Responsible for educating the campus community about the existence and benefits of YLND, as well as maintaining and growing the membership database. Specific responsibilities include:
- Represent YLND at periodic Coffee & Conversation new hire events sponsored by Human Resources
- Manage YLND ambassadors and assign introductory meetings to new individuals that join the mailing list
- Support the special interest groups
- Coordinate happy hours with the events subcommittee
- Implement the membership spotlight data collection for newsletter
The steering committee must communicate to its members on its progress in fulfilling the mission of YLND, as well as its intended strategic direction on an annual basis.
By-laws last updated on June 11, 2020